DAVIDPEDIA - How do we define success? There are many different tactics for success in life, but the strategy that works best for you may depend on your vision of success. We often think it works well at work or that we earn a high salary. Although professional achievements maybe a piece of the puzzle, they leave out many other important areas of life. Family, romantic relationships, academics, and athletics are just a few areas where people can strive to be successful.
Your definition of what success is exactly can vary, but many may define it as accomplished, happy, safe, healthy, and loved. It is the ability to achieve your goals in life, whatever those goals are.
So what can you do to increase your chances of achieving these goals? What are the habits of successful people?
There is no right way to succeed. What works for you may not work for someone else. There may not be a perfect combination of ingredients that can guarantee success, but there are some basic steps you can follow that can improve your chances of success in life, love, work, or whatever. seems important to you.
1. Build a growth mindset
Research by psychologist Carol Dweck suggests that two basic mindsets influence how people think about themselves and their abilities: the fixed mindset and the growth mindset .1
People with a fixed mindset believe that things like intelligence are static and immutable. Those with a fixed mindset believe that success is not the result of hard work - it is simply a consequence of innate talent. Because they believe that these talents are something that people are born with or without, they tend to give up more easily in the face of a challenge. They give up when things don't come easy because they believe they don't have the innate skills to excel.
Those with a growth mindset, on the other hand, think they can change, grow and learn by effort. People who believe they can grow are more likely to succeed. When things get tough, they look for ways to improve their skills and keep working to succeed.
People with a growth mindset believe that they are in control of their lives, while those with a fixed mindset believe that things are out of their control.
What can you do to create a growth mindset?
- Believe that your efforts count. Rather than thinking that their abilities are fixed or blocked, people with a growth mindset believe that effort and hard work can lead to significant growth.
- Learn new skills. When faced with a challenge, they look for ways to develop the knowledge and skills they need to overcome and triumph.
- Think of failures as learning experiences. People with a growth mindset do not believe that failure is a reflection of their abilities. Instead, they see it as a valuable source of experience from which they can learn and improve. "It didn't work," they might think, "this time I'm going to try something a little different."
2. Improve your emotional intelligence
Global intelligence has long been considered one of the contributing factors to success in different areas of life, but some experts suggest that emotional intelligence maybe even more important.2 Emotional intelligence refers to the ability to understand, use and reason emotions. Emotionally intelligent people can understand not only their own emotions but also those of others.
Here are some tactics to improve your emotional intelligence:
- Pay attention to your own emotions. Focus on identifying how you feel and what is causing these feelings.
- Manage your emotions. Take a step back and try to see things with an impartial eye. Avoid bottling up or suppressing your feelings, but look for healthy and appropriate ways to manage your feelings.
- Listen to others. This involves not only hearing what they are saying but also paying attention to non-verbal cues and body language.
3. Developmental strength
Mental toughness refers to the resilience that some people must pursue and keep trying even when faced with obstacles.3 People with this mental strength see challenges as opportunities. They also feel that they are in control of their destiny, have confidence in their ability to succeed and are determined to finish what they started.
So what can you do to improve your mental stamina and increase your chances of success in life?
- Believe in yourself. Eliminate negative inner talk and look for ways to stay positive and supportive.
- Keep trying. Even when things seem impossible or setbacks continue to hold you back, focus on ways to develop your skills and keep moving. One of the main habits of successful people is to always consider setbacks or failures as learning opportunities.
- Define aims. Mentally difficult people know that to get there, they must start with achievable goals. These goals are not necessarily easy to achieve, but by having something to aim for, you will be better able to move forward and overcome obstacles.
- Find help. Doing things alone can be difficult, but having a strong support system can make things easier. Mentors, friends, colleagues and family members can encourage you when things get difficult, and even offer advice and help that can help improve your chances of success.
4. Strengthen your will
In a long-term longitudinal study, psychologists began to examine a group of children identified by their teachers as very intelligent. By comparing the results of these subjects throughout childhood and adulthood, the researchers found that those who, ultimately, was the most successful in life shared certain key characteristics that individuals less often lacked performance, especially persistence and willpower4.
These characteristics are generally part of an individual's overall personality, but they can also be improved. Delayed satisfaction, learning to persist in the face of challenges and waiting for the rewards of your hard work can often be the key to success in life.
So what strategies can you use to improve your willpower?
- Try to distract yourself. For example, if you are trying to lose weight but find it hard to get away from your favorite snacks, distracting yourself during your moments of weakness can be an effective way to avoid giving in to temptation.
- Practice. Willpower is something you can build, but it takes time and effort. Start by setting small goals that require willpower, such as avoiding sugary snacks. As you develop your ability to use your willpower to achieve such small goals, you may find that your willpower is also stronger when you work on much larger goals.
5. Focus on intrinsic motivations
What motivates you the most? Do you find that the promise of external rewards helps you achieve your goals, or is it the most personal intrinsic motivation that inspires you?
While extrinsic rewards such as money, rewards and other external motivations may be helpful, many people find that they are more motivated when they do things for their satisfaction.
If you do things because you enjoy them, because you find them meaningful, or because you like to see the effects of your work, then you are motivated by intrinsic motivations.
Research has shown that while incentives may be a better predictor of certain types of performance, intrinsic motivations tend to better predict the quality of performance.
While it is often the external motivations that get people started, it is the internal motivations that stimulate and keep people going to maintain these new behaviors.
So what can you do to boost your sense of intrinsic motivation?
- Take the challenge. People often find that pursuing an achievable goal, but not necessarily an easy one is a great way to increase motivation for success. Challenges can keep you interested in a task, improve your self-esteem, and offer feedback on areas you can improve. If it sounds too easy or boring, people tend to procrastinate because they are not interested in doing it. Choosing something a bit difficult will help motivate people to start - it's exciting!
- Stay curious. Find the things that grab your attention and that you would like to know more about.
- Take control. Staying intrinsically motivated to pursue a goal can be difficult if you don't feel you have a real influence on the outcome. Look for ways to take an active role.
- Don't be afraid of the competition. There may be other people trying to achieve the same goals as you, but that doesn't mean you have to give up. Do not compare your progress or journey with that of others. You can turn to others for motivation and inspiration, but remember that we all have different paths.
6. Nurturing traits linked to high potential
Psychologists have long attempted to link specific traits or characteristics of personality to succeed in life and at work. The Myers-Briggs type indicator (MBTI) is a widely used assessment that is often used by companies to select candidates. The problem, however, is that research often fails to show that MBTI is correlated with performance6.
According to some more recent research, certain traits tend to be systematically linked to success7.
Researchers Ian MacRae and Adrian Furnham have identified six key traits that can play a role in people's performance at work8. However, they note that there are optimal levels of these traits. Too few of these characteristics can hinder success, but there can be too many.
If you are trying to learn how to succeed in life, think about what you can do to maintain these key traits:
Conscientious people consider the effects of their actions. They also think about how others will react and feel.
You can maintain this trait by:
- Thinking about the consequences of actions
- Take into account the perspectives of others
Life is full of situations that are not always clear. People who have great potential for success are better able to accept this ambiguity. Rather than being rigid and inflexible, they are ready to adapt when the unexpected comes their way.
You can learn to embrace ambiguity by:
- Question your views and take into account opinions and ideas other than your own
- Do not fear the unknown
- Be ready to change
- Valuing diversity
Capable of adjustment
In addition to being able to accept ambiguity, success often depends on the ability to adapt quickly to change. Here are some ways to promote this adjustment capacity:
- Try to reframe difficult situations. Seeing them as opportunities to learn and grow rather than just obstacles to cross can help people adapt and recover faster.
- Be open to change. If you feel stressed when plans or situations change, take a step back and look for ways to deal with it.
If you want to know how to succeed in life, look at the characteristics of the most successful people in the world. One thing you might find quickly is that they often show great courage. They are ready to take risks, even in the event of potential failure.
What can you do to improve your risk tolerance?
- Use positive thinking. Research suggests that courageous people use positive emotions to overcome fear9. So, when you find yourself avoiding situations out of fear, look for ways to suppress negative emotions by focusing on more positive feelings.
- Balance risk with common sense. Remember, however, that being too risk-tolerant can be a bad thing. High risk can lead to high rewards, but being careful and pragmatic can also pay off depending on the situation and the issues.
Successful people tend to be curious about the world around them. They are always eager to learn more, including new knowledge and skills.
You can cultivate your sense of curiosity by:
- Relate tasks to your interests. You may find it boring to file documents, for example, but finding a more efficient way to file information could take advantage of your strengths as an organizer.
- To learn new things. Even if you feel like you are an expert on a subject, there are always new things to discover and skills that can be improved or refined.
Successful people can use competition to motivate, but avoid falling prey to jealousy.
You can maintain a healthy sense of competition by:
- Focus on your improvements. Rather than worrying about being the best at something, pay attention to your progress. Write down how far you've come and what you can do to make it even better.
- Be happy when others are successful. Do not give in to jealousy. Instead, focus on feeling truly happy when others are successful and use them to inspire you to succeed in your own life.
There are some important things to remember when considering these traits that are linked to a high potential for success.
First, certain traits and personality types may be better suited to certain jobs than others. However, no specific personality trait can guarantee success, nor be weak in that trait condemning someone to failure.
While there are differences of opinion on the amount of personality that can be changed, nurturing some of these high-potential traits could help you develop skills that can serve you well in many aspects of your life.
A word from Verywell
There is no single measure of success, and certainly no single answer to how to succeed in life. However, by looking at some of the habits of successful people, you can learn new tactics and strategies that can be implemented in your own daily life. Cultivate and nurture these abilities and, over time, you may find that you are better able to achieve your goals and achieve the success you want in life.